Thursday, February 24, 2011

Glucose Challenge Test (GCT)

 

ocgt-200x300

 

My tummy is now 2 days short before it turns 12 weeks and today, I went to the laboratory for the 50g oral Glucose Challenge Test or the GCT. My OB said it is to screen for diabetes that can just occur during pregnancy. Gestational diabetes, that is.

 

I just saw a friend’s wall on Facebook the other day and she was talking about 10 hours fasting and 4 blood extraction and 4 urinalysis in four hours. She failed her GCT and has to go further with the GTT or the Glucose Tolerance Test. My oh my. I was praying i won’t go that far.

 

So when i went to the Lab, they gave me an orange-juice-like Glucose drink, which looked like the Listerine i have at home, and told me to drink everything.  From the looks of it, i was wondering if i won’t be able to vomit everything out, but it just tastes like orange juice, so there was actually no problem with it.

 

I was also told to just stay at the Lab, not eat anything, and wait for one hour before the blood extraction.

 

So I did. Dear hubby was eating my favorite McDo French fries but I am determined not to be hard-headed this time. Of course, i don’t want to go to a 10-hr fasting.

 

Exactly after 1 hour, the med tech took my blood sample. Along with my Glucose Challenge Test (GCT) i will also be tested for HBsAg or screening for Hepatitis B, Anti-HBs, a complete blood count as well as blood typing and urinalysis.

 

Nervous for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post Back to Top