Friday, July 23, 2010

Are my Fallopian Tubes Blocked? - The HSSG Process


Yes, there are cases that infertility is caused by blocked fallopian tubes – of course, that will hinder the egg from meeting the sperm.

Fertilization 101.

So my OB had to schedule me for an HSSG or otherwise known as hysterosalpingosonography (huh! that was long) to check if my fallopian tubes are not blocked.

For some, an HSG is done instead of an HSSG. This might be a little confusing though. HSG or hysterosalpingography uses an x-ray to check if the fallopian tubes are patent or unblocked. In HSSG, an ultrasound is used. The latter was the procedure i underwent.

So i had to take a 500mg pain reliever thirty minutes to 1 hour before the procedure. I did not take chances with a lower dosage (of course, i am allergic to pain). But i was a little surprised that the process was not really painful.

The doctor even asked me if i have experienced dysmenorrhea, as the pain can be likened to such, she said. But I for one has yet to imagine how painful can a dysmenorrhea be. I am lucky not to experience it and very thankful as well.

Although i did feel a little discomfort when the tubes ( a catheter i supposed) was inserted into my cervix and into my uterus. I felt more discomfort after the saline solution was injected into the tubes. I am thankful the doctor was so nice, she always asks if i felt pain and if i am alright.

The process began with a TVS ultrasound, then the doc and her assistant inserted a tube (catheter) into my cervix into the uterus and a fluid is injected into the catheter – which can probably tell if the fallopian tubes are blocked.

After four or five tries, i am done.

In a few minutes, i will be getting the results and i was not even feeling anything.


Not anxious. Not worried. Just reading the newspaper. Waiting. . .  22144-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Yellow-Emoticon-Face-With-A-Sad-Frown-And-A-Text-Bubble-With-Dots

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post Back to Top