Sunday, June 13, 2010

Pap Smear for All You Women Out There

I have heard of the pap smear procedure before, but had never undergone such. So when i went to the clinic for infertility consultation, the OB conducted the procedure along with the consultation.


I was told to lie down on the bed, of course, without anything from the waist down, with knees bent and apart. The doctor then inserted a speculum which looks like a metal beak of a duck and she starts to collect some cell samples from inside the cervix.


speculum
a speculum
The speculum may look weird, but the process is painless. The speculum just felt a little cold during the insertion. So I was just lying there while the doctor prompt me to watch on a monitor on the bedside while she was telling me that it was the cervix.


It looked foreign to me anyway.


Everything was over in less than five minutes or so. I felt no cramping, no bleeding, no pain.


I was thinking how so many women are afraid to do the pap smear test when this fast and painless procedure can help a lot in the early detection of cancer cells and can help you combat cervical cancer even before it starts to ruin your life.


I would say, if you have been sexually active, go ahead. Take that pap smear now.




- xoxo-

3 comments:

  1. thanks for this info. I really wanted this. now i know that my friend is creating stories that this is indeed very painful

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi shengy. yes, it was painless. find a good OB-Gyne to do your pap test too. Some Doctors may also be rough with the procedure and that may also be a factor. instances of painful pap smears sometimes do happen to women who have Vaginismus, that even intercourse is painful.

    ----

    Thanks watadid

    ReplyDelete

Previous Post Next Post Back to Top